Are you struggling to find apps to sync Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+ or any other video streaming service, so that you can watch movies together online?
Does it always take a few tries to press “play” at exactly the same time, so you can react together?
Do you find yourself constantly switching back and forth between your Zoom and your Netflix screen, so you can chat and watch at the same time?
Well, there’s no need to do any of that 😊
In 2021, there are plenty of apps created to solve this exact problem. These 6 movie syncing apps will let long distance couples streamline their watching sessions without the guesswork – and much more. Some will let you chat together with a picture-in-picture option, others will let you join public streaming sessions with other movie fans. You can even make playlists and song mashups if you’re feeling creative!
All these apps have different features and they all have pros and cons, so how can you choose the right one? Well, I’ve done the research on each one and evaluated the major pros and cons highlighted by users across the web. Check them out below!
Not sure what to watch?
If you’re on the lookout for romantic, funny and heartbreaking movies about long distance relationships, check out the post below!
What is it? An extension for Chrome and Edge browsers that will let you sync movies from the major subscription services
Works with: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu and HBO
Paid or free? FREE
- You can add subtitles to your own screen without it affecting the other viewer – great for international couples!
- With the plug-in, you can start shared Netflix sessions from within the Netflix browser app
- Group chat option
- Easy to use and simple concept
- Fast buffering speeds
- There are no emojis in the chat
- You need to create a new session every time you want to change what you’re watching
- Each person needs their own account to use the app (not really surprising, but still a complication not faced by couples watching movies from the same sofa!)
- No mobile version
- It only includes basic text chat – no picture-in-picture or audio
What is it?: A smartphone app for iOS and Android that works across multiple platforms and has some unique creative features
Works with: YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo, Reddit, Google Drive
Paid or free? FREE with premium version for $1.58/month
- Live chat whilst you watch together
- VR option
- Host karaoke parties!
- You can join public ‘Raves’ and meet new people around the world
- Works internationally
- ‘AI DJ’ function allows you to mash up any two songs – have fun remixing your favourite playlists!
- A few updates have been glitchy for some users, but the latest reviews (as of Nov 2020) are much more positive since the latest update
- Some users have mentioned some potential privacy concerns – for example, you must sign up with an existing social media or Google account and the app will pull your full name from the account. The location of views in a stream are also displayed to other users on a map, which may be a concern, so remember to switch to a private stream to watch movies with your partner (new ‘Raves’ are public by default).
— post continues after ad —
What is it? A versatile video and screen-sharing app that works on iOS, Android and Desktop
Works with: Any video platform
Paid or free? FREE with a premium version for $4.99/month
- Premium version lets you share webcam as a ‘picture-in-picture’ so you can chat at the same time – or just use audio if you prefer
- Clean, easy to use interface with ‘Kast TV’ (premium feature)
- No ads in premium
- You can stream games, movies, hangouts or even attend classes via Kast
- Share your screen
- You can choose to download the desktop app or to use it online
- The Android version has had some negative reviews on the Play Store because of bugs. However, a new update with bug fixes has been recently launched.
What is it? A simple app to watch movies together, built by a couple in a long distance relationship. Works on Chrome, Firefox and web.
Works with: YouTube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Vimeo, CrunchyRoll, web and even personal video files (paid version for $3/month also offers Disney+ and Hulu)
Paid or free? FREE but with a premium version for $3/month
- Webcam option allows you to see each other whilst you watch
- With TwoSeven, you can even sync personal video files (so you can watch and reminisce about your travels and favourite times together)
- Similar to NetflixParty/Teleparty, each person needs their own log-in to a streaming platform – this also means you can only see videos that are available already in your region
What is it? A simple Chrome extension and web app for syncing a handful of streaming services
Works with: Web app works with YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Soundcloud, Chrome extension allows you to sync Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+
Paid or free? FREE but with ad-free premium version for £3.49/month
- No need to register to use the app – simply create a room and share the link
- Unlike some other apps where one user is ‘broadcasting’ and others are just watching, this app allows each user to search for content and post videos to the room
- Rooms are private by default (though there’s no limit to where you can share the link)
- Integrated chat room
- Organise content into playlists
- It’s not a huge issue, but the website may be a little confusing to use at first – so be sure to check out the step by step guide before using it
What is it? A Chrome extension and web app that allows you to host private and public watch parties
Works with: Netflix, HBO, Disney+
Paid or free? FREE
- Webcam feature for up to 10 users
- Easy and simple to use
- You can join live watch parties with others (up to 1 million viewers on a stream!) and connect with other users who are fans of the same TV shows and movies
- Private watch parties are for up to 10 people – more than enough for most, but if you’re planning a larger get-together (such as a family thing) you might need to use a different app
- As with other apps for paid streaming services, everyone will need their own subscription to the streaming service you’re watching and can only view things that are available in their region
More apps for long distance couples
If you’re looking for more apps to stay connected with your long distance boyfriend/girlfriend, check out this post!
Are you wondering how trust works in a LDR? Here are 10 effective ways to create a trusting and secure relationship, regardless of the miles.
Is your long distance relationship moving too fast? Here are 5 signs that you need to slow things down - and how to address it...
Are you wondering how to make a long distance relationship work? Here are my 50 top tips for making a success of your LDR!
When was the last time you just concentrated on your partner's voice? Here's why you should have more phone calls with your long distance partner.
Looking for sweet movies about long distance relationships? Here are 18 funny, romantic and heartbreaking LDR movies for your next virtual date night!
Talking about money is especially important for long distance couples - but it's not always easy! Here's how to have that talk.
Stuck for things to talk about during virtual dates? Here are 50 thought-provoking, funny and romantic questions to keep the conversation flowing!
Not sure whether it's time to move on from your LDR? Here are 10 signs to look out for.
Not sure what to get your long distance boyfriend or girlfriend for Valentine's day? Get inspiration here!