Receiving a surprise care package from your long distance partner is about as exciting as Christmas morning when you were a kid. Putting one together is almost as wonderful – it’s so satisfying to imagine their reaction when it arrives 🙂
Care packages are such a great way to:
- Surprise your partner
- Show them you care
- Take care of them from a distance
They don’t need to be expensive, either. Your partner will appreciate creativity and thoughtfulness much more than the cash you spent.
What to put in a long distance care package?
There are so many different ways to go about this, but I think there are some items that should be included in every care package, no matter the theme or occasion!
Here are the essentials:
1. Something soothing
If you follow this blog, you’ll know by now that I’m big on promoting self-care for people in LDRs. Including some wellbeing items is a great way to support your partner taking care of themselves. You could even make this the overall theme of your gift!
2. Something tasty
When in doubt, chocolate is always a hit. But there are plenty of ways to be creative with this as well.
If you live in different countries, why not send them some foods you can only get where you live? It’s especially memorable if the food has a personal story attached – such as if it was your childhood favourite snack.
Remember to look up if there are any specific laws about shipping food to and from each of your countries.
3. Something light-hearted that will remind them of you
There are endless options here! Something personalised is always a good idea. Here are a few ideas:
- A cute phone case, mug or keychain with your photo on it
- Passport cover with a personalised message
- Something with a lipstick kiss on it
- A jar of little messages tied up with string
4. A sweet handwritten message from you
This goes without saying!
Keep it short and sweet if you like, but concentrate on making it look lovely so they can treasure it forever. Draft it first on your phone or computer and then take the time to write it out neatly by hand.
10 care packages your long distance partner will love
If you don’t know where to begin, here are 10 amazing care package ideas for your S.O.!
1. Soothing self-care package
What to include:
- A scented candle
- Special types of herbal tea or coffee (these flowering jasmine pearls look divine and make a beautiful gift)
- Essential oils
- Lotions and balms
- Eye mask
- A natural sponge
- Bath bombs*
*wrap carefully – you don’t want them to arrive in bits!
2. Summer care package
- Sheet masks
- These reusable ice cubes
- Sunscreens and/or SPF lip balms
- A fruit infuser water bottle
- Cooling face spray
3. Winter wonderland care package
- This rechargeable pocket hand-warmer that doubles as a power bank
- A hot water bottle or microwave buddy
- Gloves, hat and/or a scarf (bonus points if you knitted it)
- String lights for their room
- Sachets of hot chocolate
- These hard-wearing socks with a lifetime guarantee
- A snowglobe
- Candy canes – these look absolutely adorable in a gift box
4. A ‘your country’ care package
- Your favourite toothpaste from your country
- Skincare and/or makeup products
- Anything related to national holidays in your country
- Recipe cards or a cookbook for your country’s cuisine
- Favourite candies and snacks (especially if they’re a twist on their familiar versions – e.g. all the wonderful flavoured kit-kats you can get in Japan!)
5. Fitness care package
- Resistance bands or hip circle bands
- A pedometer or Fitbit
- Wireless and/or waterproof earbuds
- A cute or personalised water bottle
- Sweat towel and/or sweat bands
- These cheap but effective gliding discs for core workouts
- Invisibobble hair ties (tie back hair for exercise without leaving kinks)
- A jump rope
6. Fall / Halloween care package
- Pumpkin spiced cookies or homemade cake mix
- A Halloween mug
- Fall-themed candles
- Artificial spiders
- Halloween candies
- Soaps with gorgeous fall fragrances
- Halloween-themed string lights
- A book of scary stories
7. Luxury care package
- A silky bathrobe or slip
- A good lipstick
- Luxury chocolates
- These floating LED candles
- A delicate piece of jewellery
- Bubble bath
8. Art-lover care package
- A personalised t-shirt for them to wear when they paint or make art
- Quality art supplies – pencils, paints, pastels, paper, erasers etc.
- Postcards of famous art for inspiration
9. Long haul journey survival package
Long distance relationships involve plenty of tedious travel and this can be mentally and physically draining (no matter how much you love your partner and are excited to be visiting them).
When your boyfriend/girlfriend takes the time and effort to visit you, why not send them a care package with supplies to keep them comfortable for the journey? See this post for my favourite ideas 🙂
10. Movie night care package
- Popcorn and popcorn recipe cards
- Popcorn bucket
- A cosy blanket
- Fluffy socks
- Sachets of hot chocolate
A really cute idea for this box would be to include some mystery items related to a movie or series of movies you want to watch together – but don’t tell them what the movie is until you’re about to watch it! 🙂
Packing it all up
Presentation isn’t everything, but going the extra mile to make everything look lovely in the box will show that you’ve put real thought, care and time into crafting a beautiful gift.
Go shopping or scavenging for some supplies, such as:
- Shredded paper or tissue paper
- A scarf that they can use afterwards is a great way to pad out your gift box without wasting anything at all
- Popcorn is an excellent, cheap and eco-friendly alternative to polystyrene pellets – you can even dye it with food colouring
- Pinecones for a beautiful fall or winter-themed box
- Pressed and dried flowers
- Artificial rose petals
- Brown string and brown paper always looks classic and beautiful – or this candy cane string which I love for Christmas gifts!